CUDAHY, Calif. (AP) – Fuel apparently dumped by an aircraft returning to Los Angeles International Airport fell onto an elementary school playground Tuesday, fire officials said.
Firefighters were assessing “multiple patients” at the school in the suburban city of Cudahy, California, the Los Angeles Fire Department public information officer tweeted.
The flight tracking website FlightAware shows that Delta Air Lines Flight 89 to Shanghai, China, departed LAX and circled back over Southern California and returned to the airport on Tuesday.
News footage at the scene showed numerous police and emergency vehicles at the school. It is located about 13 miles (24 kilometers) miles east of Los Angeles.
An email and telephone message seeking comment was left with the airline.
A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman did not have any immediate information.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Mom pleads for kidney donor to save son’s life: ‘He has his whole life ahead of him’
- 97,000 gallons of red wine spills into river
- Obese bear rescued from Pennsylvania sportsmen’s club recovering in Colorado
- SC bus driver cut out of vehicle after crash with 18-wheeler
- Robeson County sheriff host forum about preventing, responding to shootings in places of worship