CUDAHY, Calif. (AP) – Fuel apparently dumped by an aircraft returning to Los Angeles International Airport fell onto an elementary school playground Tuesday, fire officials said.
Firefighters were assessing “multiple patients” at the school in the suburban city of Cudahy, California, the Los Angeles Fire Department public information officer tweeted.
The flight tracking website FlightAware shows that Delta Air Lines Flight 89 to Shanghai, China, departed LAX and circled back over Southern California and returned to the airport on Tuesday.
News footage at the scene showed numerous police and emergency vehicles at the school. It is located about 13 miles (24 kilometers) miles east of Los Angeles.
An email and telephone message seeking comment was left with the airline.
A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman did not have any immediate information.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Mom of 6 dead, 2 officers among 5 hurt in crash during police chase caught on video
- The show must go on: Salem Singers
- Hundreds pay respects, call for change at George Floyd’s Raeford memorial service
- Memorial held in Hoke County for NC native George Floyd as many seek change
- Where George Floyd lost his life might not be what you expect
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now