CHICAGO — A 23-year-old man who was fatally shot by an off-duty Chicago police officer inside a home was the officer’s son, according to the Chicago Tribune.
It happened just before 2 a.m. Wednesday inside a home in the Garfield Ridge neighborhood. Police say the man was shot by the homeowner during a physical altercation. They believe the shooting was “domestic-related.”
The medical examiner has identified the man shot as 23-year-old Rafael Flores.
According to the Chicago Tribune, records show the owner of the home has been a Chicago cop for about 20 years.
The Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA) is investigating.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- As Derek Chauvin verdict looms, Triangle faith leader and activists say anxiety grows
- Driver sentenced to 30 years in prison in deadly chase that killed NC woman
- ‘I almost lost my wife’ – Man recalls having truck carjacked from Raleigh mall, then flipped in crash
- No COVID-19 vaccine side effects, no problem, says UNC doctor
- Former Columbus County police chief arrested on 73 charges related to evidence tampering, drug trafficking