WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi still isn’t ready to launch impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump.
Pelosi told House Democrats on a conference call Friday, “The public isn’t there on impeachment.”
She told them the case needs to be “as strong” as possible.
“If and when we act, people will know he gave us no choice,” Pelosi said, according to an aide granted anonymity to discuss the private call.
More than half the House Democrats support opening an impeachment inquiry. But Pelosi said the House must weigh its “responsibility to protect and defend the Constitution” with the need to be “unifying and not dividing.”
She also said she’s using a nightguard because it’s “very hard” not to grind her teeth “all night about what’s going on in the White House.”
- Granville County sheriff suspended following felony obstruction indictment
- Spam introduces limited-edition pumpkin spice flavor
- North Carolina airports to receive $17 million in infrastructure funding
- NC deputies investigating fatal crossbow shooting
- 2019 Starry Night Walk at Dorothea Dix will raise money to cure childhood brain tumors
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now