(CNN Newsource) — $3.6 billion of military construction funding will be used to build part of a barrier along the US-Mexico border.
Secretary of Defense Mark Esper approved of the use of the money in a letter to Congress.
Esper says 11 military construction projects along the border are necessary to support the Armed Forces.
In February, President Trump announced plans to use military money to get the barrier built.
The Department of Defense says 127 military construction projects will have to be put on hold.
Construction on the southern border wall is expected to begin in about 135 days.
- Wake Forest holds virtual July 4th fireworks show amid pandemic
- Eastbound lanes of US 64 closed in Wake County due to wreck, troopers say
- At Rushmore, Trump to say protesters seek to ‘defame’ heroes
- Violence mars Portland protests, frustrates Black community
- Boy killed, girl injured among 4 victims in Alabama mall shooting
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now