FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (KNWA) — A deadly shooting happened Saturday night along Rock Street, according to Central EMS.
Rock Street is near the Fayetteville Square. The shooting happened just behind the police station on Rock Street.
A Fayetteville police officer was executed by a suspect just outside the police station, Fayetteville Police Chief Mike Reynolds later told KNWA.
At 9:40 p.m. the shooting shots were fired in the back parking lot of the Fayetteville Police Department on Rock Street.
The officer was by his patrol car when he was shot and killed.
Several officers were inside and chased the suspect. The suspect was killed in a nearby alley.
“…It appears the suspect executed my officer,” Reynolds said. “These are the details as I know.”
There is a heavy police presence at the square. The public is being asked to avoid the area.
Witnesses reported hearing 15 to 20 shots.
- 1,908 new COVID-19 cases reported in NC Sunday
- Driver thought to have crashed into the Cape Fear River found safe
- 10-time Langley Speedway champion Shawn Balluzzo dies following crash
- Advice on how to talk to your kids about race, current racial tensions
- Friday, July 10th : Talking to your kids about race, current tensions
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now