CHICAGO (AP) — R. Kelly’s lawyers want the judge in the singer’s New York federal case to reconsider and grant him bond, saying the hardships of being jailed include being able to see just one of two previous live-in girlfriends at a time.
The Chicago Tribune reports the request was filed Monday in New York, where Kelly is charged in a racketeering scheme to sexually abuse girls.
Kelly is detained in Chicago, where he faces similar charges. Even if the New York judge grants bond, Kelly must get the Chicago judge to agree to bond before he could be released.
Monday’s motion complained that only one person unrelated to Kelly can visit him at a time over 90 days, so just one of the two young women who lived with him before he was jailed can visit during that period.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Tornadoes damage Florida homes as Nestor moves ashore
- ‘Great-Granddaddy’ of UNC Athletics dies at age 99
- Hundreds of protesters face off in Pittsboro over pro-Confederate monument, heritage gathering
- ‘Most ridiculous thing ever’: Officials split building in two to solve property dispute
- Buying a beer in Virginia? You may be unknowingly donating to a campaign