Ready-to-eat sushi, salads and spring rolls sold by major retailers across much of the U.S. are being recalled by Fuji Food Products due to possible listeria contamination, the company said in a statement posted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The recalled products are sold in 31 states and Washington, D.C., at retailers and distributors including Trader Joe’s, 7-Eleven, Walgreens, Food Lion, Hannaford, Giant Eagle, Porky Products, Bozzuto’s, Supreme Lobster and Superior Foods.
The problem was discovered during a routine inspection by the FDA of a company facility in Brockton, Massachusetts, which has ceased operations pending the outcome of an investigation, Fuji said.
“As responsible processors of safe, fresh food for nearly 30 years, we are addressing this problem vigorously and we apologize to those who are affected by it,” Fuji Food Products CEO Farrell Hirsch said in a statement.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism that can cause serious, and sometimes fatal, infections in children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although otherwise healthy people may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, the infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled sushi, salad and spring roll products are packed in plastic trays with clear lids and the sell-by dates are on the labels. Consumers who purchased the recalled products should discard them, Fuji said.
Consumers with questions can call (888) 667-1504.
The recalled products listed below were sold in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Following is a list of the affected products and their sell-by dates.
- Okami 8-piece California Roll: 7-32869-28101-5, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 8-piece Spicy California Roll: 7-32869-28102-2, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 8-piece Supreme California Roll: 7-32869-28103-9, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 8-piece Spicy Supreme California Roll: 7-32869-28104-6, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 8-piece Classic California Roll with SO: 7-32869-28105-3, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 8-piece Supreme Combo: 7-32869-28111-4, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 8-piece Supreme Sampler: 7-32869-28112-1, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 8-piece Brown Rice Classic California Roll: 7-32869-28122-0, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 25-piece Sushi Platter: 7-32869-28200-5, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 6pcs Sushi Platter: 7-32869-28201-2, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 8-piece Seafood Combo: 7-32869-28262-3, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami Tempura Shrimp Roll 6-piece: 7-32869-28114-5, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Okami 8-pieces Salmon Philly Roll: 7-32869-28113-8, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Trader Joe’s Smoked Salmon Poke Bowl: 603751, 11/20-12/04/2019
- Trader Joe’s Banh Mi Style Salad: 614719, 11/19-12/03/2019
- Trader Joe’s Shrimp Spring Rolls 7 oz: 908795, 11/18-12/02/2019
- Trader Joe’s Tofu Spring Rolls 7 oz: 921510, 11/18-12/02/2019
- Trader Joe’s Queso Fundido 16 oz: 646574, 12/10-12/24/2019
- Trader Joe’s 8-piece Spicy Cal Roll 8 oz: 348966,11/22-12/06/2019
- Trader Joe’s 8-piece California Roll 8 oz: 348997, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Trader Joe’s 8-piece Tempura Shrimp Crunch Rolls 8.5 oz: 513289, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Trader Joe’s 8-piece Smoked Salmon Philly Roll: 603775 11/20-12/04/2019
- Trader Joe’s 8-piece Brown Rice California Roll 8 oz: 909822, 11/22-12/06/2019
- Indiana man admits to pushing toddler down stairs after argument over food, court docs show
- 1 million air passengers reported in a day marks new flying milestone during pandemic
- Counties reaching out to about 10,000 NC voters who need to fix absentee ballot issues
- Wake County fire tanker truck crashes while responding to house fire
- 20-year-old ‘dead’ woman found alive at funeral home later dies at Detroit hospital, family says
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now