WALNUT, Miss. (AP) — A school bus driver is dead and seven children are injured as a school bus rolled over in northern Mississippi.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol tells local news outlets that the driver died in the Tuesday morning incident, with the bus ending up on its side in a ditch.
Benton County school Superintendent Steve Bostick tells WMC-TV he believes the driver, Chester Cole, had some kind of medical emergency. Bostick says Cole had been working for the school district for five years.
Seven children between the ages of 7 and 13 were on the bus at the time. All were taken to hospitals in and around Memphis, Tennessee, some by helicopter.
Troopers say no other vehicles were involved in the wreck on U.S. Highway 72 west of Walnut.
- Counties with more Trump voters are less likely to be vaccinated, data shows
- NFL star Russell Wilson to deliver commencement address at NC State’s spring graduation
- ‘Creepy’ doorbell video shows intruder on family’s porch for 6 hours
- Durham police chief selected to lead Memphis Police Department
- Fauci hints coronavirus policy on face masks may change