WALNUT, Miss. (AP) — A school bus driver is dead and seven children are injured as a school bus rolled over in northern Mississippi.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol tells local news outlets that the driver died in the Tuesday morning incident, with the bus ending up on its side in a ditch.
Benton County school Superintendent Steve Bostick tells WMC-TV he believes the driver, Chester Cole, had some kind of medical emergency. Bostick says Cole had been working for the school district for five years.
Seven children between the ages of 7 and 13 were on the bus at the time. All were taken to hospitals in and around Memphis, Tennessee, some by helicopter.
Troopers say no other vehicles were involved in the wreck on U.S. Highway 72 west of Walnut.
- Sources: Security officers pulled off job at St. Augustine’s
- 2 dead as Imelda strands drivers, floods homes in Texas
- 29 years later, identity still unknown of woman found dead along I-40 in Orange County
- Presidential Candidate Bernie Sanders kicks off college tour at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Canada’s Trudeau comes under fire over brownface photo
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now