(CNN) – A “monster black hole” has been discovered by scientists.
But they say it’s so big that it shouldn’t actually exist.
They’re calling it a stellar black hole, which is the kind that forms following the death or explosion of a massive star.
Before the discovery, researchers thought the size limit was less than 20 times the mass of the sun.
But this black hole, known as LB-1, appears to debunk that theory.
The findings were published in Wednesday’s edition of the journal Nature.
- Aho scored twice to lead Hurricanes past Edmonton, 6-3
- ‘We need some help’ – Raleigh firefighter urges NC lawmakers to pass cancer bill
- Johnston County school board member alleges ‘corruption and deception’ in $8.8M budget shortfall
- VIDEO: 3-year-old girl inside sedan carjacked at NC Walmart
- Fort Bragg access point reopens after ‘security incident’
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now