(CNN) – A “monster black hole” has been discovered by scientists.
But they say it’s so big that it shouldn’t actually exist.
They’re calling it a stellar black hole, which is the kind that forms following the death or explosion of a massive star.
Before the discovery, researchers thought the size limit was less than 20 times the mass of the sun.
But this black hole, known as LB-1, appears to debunk that theory.
The findings were published in Wednesday’s edition of the journal Nature.
- Astronomers find ‘Milky Way look-alike’ baby galaxy 12 billion light-years from Earth
- Report: U.S. Postal Service warns 46 states about mail voting delays including North Carolina
- This NC woman turned 116 and is the oldest person in the U.S.
- Durham residents want peace as police adjust to combat surge in gun violence
- Students concerned after COVID-19 clusters confirmed at UNC housing
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now