TYLER, Texas (CNN Newsource) — A Texas state lawmaker says stricter gun laws are not a solution to mass shootings, but he says prayer is.
Republican Matt Schaefer made a Facebook post hours after Saturday’s rampage in west Texas.
He said that what he called “the so-called gun control solutions” will not stop a person with evil intent.
Schaefer posted that he’s against universal background checks and other proposed gun control laws.
Instead, he said people should pray for gun violence victims and for protection.
In another post, the state congressman said the root of the problem is in what he called “Godless, depraved hearts.”
Saturday’s shooting spree left seven people dead and 22-others wounded.
It happened less than a month after other mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Masked man shot by grandfather during break-in dies
- Virginia police charge woman suspected of sharing officer’s personal information online
- Authorities searching for ‘armed and dangerous’ man after woman found dead in Pulaski County under suspicious circumstances
- Vaccine demand slowing as milestones reached
- South Carolina driver killed by exploding airbag inflator