TYLER, Texas (CNN Newsource) — A Texas state lawmaker says stricter gun laws are not a solution to mass shootings, but he says prayer is.
Republican Matt Schaefer made a Facebook post hours after Saturday’s rampage in west Texas.
He said that what he called “the so-called gun control solutions” will not stop a person with evil intent.
Schaefer posted that he’s against universal background checks and other proposed gun control laws.
Instead, he said people should pray for gun violence victims and for protection.
In another post, the state congressman said the root of the problem is in what he called “Godless, depraved hearts.”
Saturday’s shooting spree left seven people dead and 22-others wounded.
It happened less than a month after other mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- LIVE: Trump lands in Florida ahead of Biden inauguration
- 10 things more likely than winning the huge Powerball, Mega Millions jackpots
- ‘I’ll kill them all’: Florida deputy arrested for threatening feds at US Capitol, sheriff says
- Philip Rivers retires from NFL following 17 seasons
- North Carolina lab identifies 13 cases of COVID-19 variant in US