WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump invoked George Floyd’s name as he delivered remarks trumpeting the latest unemployment numbers, which showed the U.S. economy unexpectedly adding 2.5 million jobs last month.
Trump mentioned equal justice under the law means everyone needs to receive fair treatment. He referenced Floyd, whose death in police custody has sparked protests across the world.
Trump says, “Hopefully George is looking down right now and saying this is a great thing that’s happening for our country,” adding: “This is a great day for him. It’s a great day for everybody.”
Trump is also calling an improving economy “the greatest thing that can happen for race relations” and the African American community.
- I-95 south closed near Fayetteville
- Large Jehovah’s Witnesses convention scheduled for Raleigh canceled due to COVID-19
- Utility scams on the rise in North Carolina during COVID-19 pandemic
- Destination Vacation | Historic Yates Mill Pond near Raleigh
- ‘Maskne’ is the new acne and it’s caused by wearing a mask
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now