Trump leaves White House for first out-of-state event in nearly 2 months

National News

President Trump is leaving the White House for an out-of-state event for the first time in nearly two months, after largely staying at the White House as Americans across the country were encouraged to stay home. After visiting Camp David in Maryland last week, the president is heading to Arizona to visit a Honeywell factory.

Mr. Trump has been eager to get out of the house, even the White House. He’s also said he wants to see “massive” rallies ahead of the November election, although the Trump campaign has offered no potential dates. The president said last week he plans to go to Ohio soon as well.

“And we’re going to start to move around. And hopefully, in the not-too-distant future, we’ll have some massive rallies and people will be sitting next to each other. I can’t imagine a rally where you have every fourth seat full. Every — every six seats are empty for every one that you have full. That wouldn’t look too good,” the president told reporters during a meeting with business people.

At the Honeywell factory in Phoenix, Arizona, the president is slated to take part in a roundtable discussion on supporting Native Americans, tour the facility’s mask production assembly line, and deliver remarks. Honeywell is aiming to produce more than 20 million N95 masks monthly to fight COVID-19. Those masks are considered the most effective, meant for health care workers on the front lines. 

The president told reporters on the White House South Lawn Tuesday he may wear a mask if he’s going to a mask facility, but seemed unsure what kind of facility he was visiting. 

“I think it’s a mask facility, right? If it’s a mask facility I will, yeah,” he told reporters who asked him if he planned to wear a mask. “I don’t know if it’s a mask facility. We’re going to see Honeywell.”

Before leaving the White House Tuesday, the president said he isn’t worried about traveling to Arizona because everyone with him had been tested in the last hour or so. 

As states are opening up, the U.S. is preparing for the grim certainty of additional deaths. Mr. Trump in a Sunday night Fox News town hall said the death toll could be around 100,000, revised upwards from earlier figures he’s used.

For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.

Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sponsored Content
Visit Buy Local

Trending Stories