RENTON, Wash. (KCPQ) – Two turtles with swastikas painted on their shells have been removed from Lake Washington at Gene Coulon Park.
According to the Renton Police Department, the turtles will be rehabbed and their shells will be conditioned to remove the paint.
The species of turtle is not native to Lake Washington, so someone had to have put them there, police said.
The disturbing paint job on the non-native turtles prompted a protest at the park Saturday, with people holding posters asking others to respect wildlife.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- VIDEO: Some masks, but little social distancing seen at return of SC college football
- Arrests made, damage seen amid protests in downtown Raleigh
- Multi-agency search and rescue finds lost woman at NC coast
- Trump campaign, GOP sue to block NC mail-in ballot rule changes
- Virginia rallies past winless Duke, 38-20
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now