RENTON, Wash. (KCPQ) – Two turtles with swastikas painted on their shells have been removed from Lake Washington at Gene Coulon Park.
According to the Renton Police Department, the turtles will be rehabbed and their shells will be conditioned to remove the paint.
The species of turtle is not native to Lake Washington, so someone had to have put them there, police said.
The disturbing paint job on the non-native turtles prompted a protest at the park Saturday, with people holding posters asking others to respect wildlife.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Virginia kindergarten teacher charged with drug possession; cocaine found in desk
- Oklahoma woman’s security company mistakenly sends footage from inside her home to stranger in NC
- Rally calling for end to gun violence being held outside NC General Assembly
- Woman says she was fired for refusing to get COVID-19 vaccine
- ‘I just want to know why’: Long Island woman speaks out after horrific acid attack