RENTON, Wash. (KCPQ) – Two turtles with swastikas painted on their shells have been removed from Lake Washington at Gene Coulon Park.
According to the Renton Police Department, the turtles will be rehabbed and their shells will be conditioned to remove the paint.
The species of turtle is not native to Lake Washington, so someone had to have put them there, police said.
The disturbing paint job on the non-native turtles prompted a protest at the park Saturday, with people holding posters asking others to respect wildlife.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Should fewer Americans get a $1,400 stimulus check?
- Durham County sheriff requiring employees to get COVID-19 vaccine
- Former Wake County deputy arrested after hours-long standoff, sheriff’s office says
- No. 20 Hokies rebound from road loss to top Notre Dame 62-51
- One Raleigh provider gearing up for mass vaccine distribution