PEMBA ISLAND, TANZANIA (CNN NEWSOURCE) — A Louisiana man’s elaborate wedding proposal in Tanzania proved fatal.
He reportedly drowned after proposing to his girlfriend underwater while the couple was on vacation.
CNN affiliate WBRZ reports Steven Weber and Kenesha Antoine were staying in Pemba Island in a wooden cabin with a bedroom submerged in the ocean, off the east coast of Africa.
Antoine recounted the tragedy on Facebook.
Weber proposed Thursday by swimming underwater and holding a handwritten note against the bedroom windows, before presenting a ring.
The note, which Weber had placed inside a transparent plastic bag, read, “I can’t hold my breath long enough to tell you everything I love about you,” and asked her to marry him.
He never resurfaced.
Antoine wrote — “You never got to hear my answer. ‘Yes! Yes! A million times, yes, I will marry you!!'”
Weber’s sister and the resort confirmed the death.
And the State Department confirmed the death of a U.S. tourist.
The resort says local authorities are investigating. The body has not been returned to the United States.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Woman tells police she ‘has COVID-19,’ spits at officer to ‘infect him so he dies’
- PETA: 20 NC PetSmart stores caught violating state animal welfare regulations
- NC man arrested in Mass. for child sex assaults that occurred over 10-year span
- ‘I’m under here!’ Boy trapped under Jeep in his bedroom after drunk driver plows into home
- Patrons under plastic: Restaurants get creative in virus era
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now