NAPLES, Italy (WNCN) — A U.S. Navy P8 was intercepted by Russian SU-35s over the Mediterranean Sea “in an unsafe and unprofessional” manner, according to US officials.
The incident happened Tuesday when the Russian pilots came close to each wing of the P-8A simultaneously, “restricting the P-8A’s ability to safely maneuver,” according to the US military.
The incident over international waters of the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and involved a plane from the U.S. Navy’s 6th Fleet, headquartered in Naples, Italy.
The Boeing P-8 Poseidon is operated in the anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, and shipping interdiction roles.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- UNC-CH commission recommends re-naming 4 campus buildings
- 2nd person of interest announced in death of 8-year-old girl
- Dead cat gets voter registration application in mail
- University of South Carolina says SAT, ACT optional for 2021
- Florida woman takes job as nursing home dishwasher to be close to husband with Alzheimer’s