NAPLES, Italy (WNCN) — A U.S. Navy P8 was intercepted by Russian SU-35s over the Mediterranean Sea “in an unsafe and unprofessional” manner, according to US officials.
The incident happened Tuesday when the Russian pilots came close to each wing of the P-8A simultaneously, “restricting the P-8A’s ability to safely maneuver,” according to the US military.
The incident over international waters of the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and involved a plane from the U.S. Navy’s 6th Fleet, headquartered in Naples, Italy.
The Boeing P-8 Poseidon is operated in the anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, and shipping interdiction roles.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Parents call on Cumberland County schools to rescind decision to continue virtual learning
- Man hurt in drive-by shooting in Durham, police say
- 2 officers shot in Louisville ‘expected to recover’, suspect in custody
- President Trump, GOP AGs accuse social media companies of silencing conservatives
- 3 arrested after man run over, killed by own van while trying to stop vehicle theft in California