WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump wants the government to send checks to Americans in the next two weeks in an effort to curb the economic cost of the coronavirus outbreak. That’s according to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.
He said Tuesday that “The president has instructed me we have to do this now.”
He didn’t give details except to say the amount should be significant and millionaires would not get it.
The announcement came as the White House asked Congress to approve a massive economic rescue package for businesses and taxpayers.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Fayetteville residents ask fellow citizens to ‘do their part’ and follow the city’s curfew
- Central NC animal shelters adapting to help animals, pet owners during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus test kits meant for the UK found to be contaminated with COVID-19
- ‘I’m sort of powerless’: Awaiting COVID-19 test results, Triangle man remains under quarantine
- Police find 192 rolls of toilet paper stashed in stolen SUV in Beverly Hills
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now