DAYTON, Ohio (AP) – Police in Dayton, Ohio, say a man released on parole from prison two weeks ago stole a police SUV and crashed into a minivan filled with children, killing two 6-year-old girls.
Ten others were injured, including five children and the suspect.
Dayton’s police chief said Tuesday that 32-year-old Raymond Walters was driving at nearly 100 mph in the stolen police cruiser when he ran a red light and hit two vehicles.
Police say the family in the minivan had just visited the city’s downtown library Monday night when Walters slammed into them.
Chief Richard Biehl says it all started when Walters stabbed his father Monday night and then took off in a truck.
He says Walters then crashed and jumped into a Riverside police SUV that responded to the crash.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Travelers at RDU speak out as face masks now required at airports, on planes
- Serial sex offender arrested in Asheville kidnappings, sexual assaults, police say
- FBI: 33 missing children, including some who were sexually exploited, found in California operation
- 1 killed after Las Vegas-based bus rolls over near Grand Canyon, 44 transported to medical center
- Wake County leaders address COVID-19 vaccine rollout during town hall