PEOTONE TOWNSHIP, Ill. (WGN) — Illinois sheriff’s deputies arrested a woman who they said was driving around with a stolen police AR-15 in the trunk of her car.
Nicole Horton, 24, of Carbondale, was riding in a car deputies pulled over on Interstate 57 in Peotone Township Sunday morning.
Officers said the car smelled of marijuana and a search turned up an AR-15 in the trunk and a 9 millimeter handgun in a drawer of a booster seat a 3-year-old child was sitting in.
The AR-15 was reportedly stolen from a police car months ago in southern Illinois.
The 3-year-old was held in protective custody by Department of Child and Family Services.
Horton was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, four counts of unlawful possession of a firearm/ammunition, four counts of no FOID card, and one count of possession of a stolen firearm, according to police.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Durham police investigating 2 murders near downtown
- The best-paying occupations that don’t require an advanced degree
- Mass shooting at large party in DC kills teenager, critically injures off-duty officer
- Wilson police ID 5-year-old killed in shooting; suspect still on the run
- Houses explode in Baltimore, killing 1 and trapping 1, fire union says
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now