DALLAS (AP) — A former Dallas police officer has been found guilty of murder in the fatal shooting of her neighbor in his home.
Amber Guyger was charged in the September 2018 killing of Botham Jean.
The jury convicted Guyger of murder. Jurors resumed deliberations Tuesday morning after several hours of discussion Monday afternoon.
Guyger testified that she mistook Jean’s apartment for her own after a long shift and that she believed he was an intruder. The 31-year-old Guyger has said she feared for her life.
Prosecutors say it’s absurd Guyger didn’t pick up on clues that she was at the wrong apartment.
Guyger was fired from the force after she was charged with murder.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Florida couple held boy, 12, at knifepoint, stole his bike, deputies say
- Mexican lawmen get FBI training to combat organized crime, terrorism
- Deported combat veterans open their doors to former soldiers in exile
- Ohio car wash transforms into Halloween haunt
- No arrest 5 days after Kamille ‘Cupcake’ McKinney’s kidnapping
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now