NEW YORK (AP/WNCN) — A Florida amateur body builder who admitted sending inoperative pipe bombs to prominent Democrats and CNN has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff sentenced Cesar Sayoc after he pleaded guilty to explosives charges for mailing 16 pipe bombs days before the midterm elections last fall.
The one-time stripper and pizza delivery man from Aventura, Florida, apologized to his victims, saying he is “so very sorry for what I did.”
Sayoc says he never intended for the explosives to work when he mailed them to Hillary Clinton, former Vice President Joe Biden, former President Barack Obama, actor Robert De Niro and several members of Congress.
Sayoc, according to a WBTV report, played soccer at UNC-Charlotte in 1983. He was also charged with possession of a stolen vehicle in Mecklenburg County in 1999, police records show.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Using hand sanitizer may be giving you a false sense of security
- Dog dies after saving family from Florida house fire
- Obama says presidents shouldn’t watch TV
- Washington Monument reopens after 3-year closure for repairs
- Uptick seen in rare mosquito-borne virus in some US states
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now