WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP/WNCN) – A North Carolina college football player has been shot to death at an event at another campus.
According to a statement from Winston-Salem police, its officers responded to a call from Wake Forest University for assistance after a report of a gunshot on campus.
Responding officers found 21-year-old Najee Ali Baker, a walk-on at Winston-Salem State University.
Baker was taken to a local hospital, where he died from a gunshot wound.
WFMY reported the incident happened around 1 a.m. Sunday at a venue called The Barn on the Wake Forest campus.
Baker sat out the 2017 season after transferring from Dean College in Franklin, Massachusetts. The school’s athletic website said Baker was a 6-foot, 1-inch 240-pound linebacker from Brooklyn, New York.
Police say the shooting appears to be an isolated incident. No arrests have been made so far.
Winston-Salem police and officers from the two schools are investigating the incident.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- ‘PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY DAUGHTER:’ NC MOM PLEADS FOR INFO ABOUT MISSING 16-YEAR-OLD
- TWIN SISTER MOURNS BROTHER AND HIS WIFE WHO DIED IN WAYNE COUNTY FIRE
- STRING OF INDECENT EXPOSURES REPORTED NEAR CAMERON VILLAGE
- SENATE VOTE FAILS AGAINST BILL PREVENTING GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN
- NC OFFICIALS HOPE NEW TECHNOLOGY CAN DETECT WRONG-WAY DRIVERS