WHITEVILLE, N.C. (WECT) – A Columbus Correctional inmate died Saturday night.
According to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, Scott Whitmeyer was stabbed multiple times with a homemade weapon in an inmate dorm around 9:45 p.m.
Correctional staff responded and worked to save the 49-year-old. Whitmeyer was transported to a medical facility where he was pronounced dead an hour later.
The Columbus County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident while DPS conducts an internal investigation with law enforcement. DPS plans to seek criminal prosecution against any offender involved in Whitmeyer’s death.
Whitmeyer was convicted of robbery with a dangerous weapon and second-degree kidnapping in Cumberland County on Jan. 8, 2014. His projected release date was Jan. 7, 2030.
Copyright 2019 WECT. All rights reserved.
- Working remotely? It’s time to rethink what is ‘home’ and what is ‘travel’
- Car crashes through fence, overturns at High Point business
- Tranquilo Bar and Restaurant in Greensboro has ABC permits suspended after 4 people left with minor stab wounds
- Suspect identified in thefts at UNCG campus
- Can you travel with kids if you’re fully vaccinated?