HICKORY, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina man has been charged in a shooting by his child who kicked his gun holster and wounded the child’s mother.
The Hickory Daily Record reports 23-year-old A-Duan Namon Walker is charged with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit in the Sept. 5 shooting at Valley Hills Mall in Hickory.
Police Chief Thurman Whisnant said Tuesday that the child kicked the holster while being picked up by Walker, shooting the woman in both feet with a single bullet.
The police chief says the shooting was apparently accidental and the woman was treated.
Two spent shell casings were recovered from the scene. Whisnant says authorities don’t know why there were two shell casings, as security video and witness accounts led police to determine only one shot was fired.
Information from: The Hickory Daily Record, http://www.hickoryrecord.com
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Kobe Bryant among 5 dead in helicopter crash in Calif., reports say
- North Carolina well-represented at 62nd Grammy Awards
- Virginia Department of Health investigating 3 potential cases of coronavirus
- Two dead, four others in the hospital after shooting at South Carolina lounge
- Wilkes scores 19 points as No. 5 Florida St. edges Notre Dame 85-84