BURLINGTON, N.C. (WFMY) — Burlington Police believe a man froze to death while walking to church earlier this week.RELATED: Wind Chill Advisory still in effect
Police say 61-year-old Franklin Roosevelt Kirby was found dead around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday near the playground at Episcopal Church of the Holy Comforter on East Davis Street.
Burlington Police Lt. Todd Long says a passerby called 911, thinking the man was asleep.
Police say Kirby walked two miles from his family’s home on Rauhut Street on Monday night around 7 p.m.
They say Kirby was on his way to a meeting at the church, though he did not regularly attend services there.
Kirby was dressed for the weather, however, his family said he did have health problems, police said.
Long says Kirby’s body has been sent to the North Carolina Medical Examiner’s Office to find out an official cause of death.
He says police don’t believe foul play is involved and a preliminary investigation suggests the extreme cold weather is the main factor.
Copyright 2017 WFMYWHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- POLICE: MAN CHARGED WITH MURDER AFTER THROWING SINGLE PUNCH, KILLING MAN IN NC WALMART
- RALEIGH WOMAN CHARGED WITH EMBEZZLING FROM NC TREASURER’S DEPARTMENT
- 9-YEAR-OLD VIRGINIA GIRL KILLED IN SLEDDING ACCIDENT
- RENTER WANTS NC APARTMENT COMPLEX TO PAY HIGH POWER BILL AFTER 1 WEEK WITHOUT HEAT
- SNOW TOTALS FOR CENTRAL NC STORM