BOILING SPRING LAKES, N.C. (AP) — State investigators say skeletal remains found buried in a wooded area in North Carolina may be a man who went missing 24 years ago.
News outlets report 25-year-old Timothy Jason Smart disappeared from Boiling Spring Lakes in 1995. WWAY-TV aired a special on the case in May 2018. The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation says in a news release that the special inspired an anonymous tip. Investigators tracked the call and spent months interviewing witnesses who helped lead them to where the remains were buried.
A medical examiner will confirm whether the remains are Smart and determine cause of death.
Authorities arrested 44-year-old Bryan Lee O’Daniels on July 1. He’s been charged with murder in the case. It’s unclear whether he had an attorney who could speak for him.
- ‘He was terrified,’ son says as Raleigh granddad still in hospital after dog attack that injured 3 others
- Former UNC QB Marquise Williams to join St. Augustine’s coaching staff
- FDA seeks to increase numbers of children in COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials, reports say
- ‘There’s plenty of information’ – Durham VA periodontist supports COVID-19 vaccine mandate
- 5-year-old girl dies in Moore County; mom and her boyfriend charged, Aberdeen police say