BOILING SPRING LAKES, N.C. (AP) — State investigators say skeletal remains found buried in a wooded area in North Carolina may be a man who went missing 24 years ago.
News outlets report 25-year-old Timothy Jason Smart disappeared from Boiling Spring Lakes in 1995. WWAY-TV aired a special on the case in May 2018. The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation says in a news release that the special inspired an anonymous tip. Investigators tracked the call and spent months interviewing witnesses who helped lead them to where the remains were buried.
A medical examiner will confirm whether the remains are Smart and determine cause of death.
Authorities arrested 44-year-old Bryan Lee O’Daniels on July 1. He’s been charged with murder in the case. It’s unclear whether he had an attorney who could speak for him.
- Weekend Mode: Music, Margaritas & More
- Check out North Carolina’s Largest RV Show This Weekend
- Thursday, February 20th : Weekend Plans, NC’s Largest RV Show
- Rocky Mount woman wins $342,754 from Carolina Cash 5 jackpot
- ‘Like he was in a car wreck’: Medical expert describes injuries of 4-year-old beaten to death
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now