BOILING SPRING LAKES, N.C. (AP) — State investigators say skeletal remains found buried in a wooded area in North Carolina may be a man who went missing 24 years ago.
News outlets report 25-year-old Timothy Jason Smart disappeared from Boiling Spring Lakes in 1995. WWAY-TV aired a special on the case in May 2018. The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation says in a news release that the special inspired an anonymous tip. Investigators tracked the call and spent months interviewing witnesses who helped lead them to where the remains were buried.
A medical examiner will confirm whether the remains are Smart and determine cause of death.
Authorities arrested 44-year-old Bryan Lee O’Daniels on July 1. He’s been charged with murder in the case. It’s unclear whether he had an attorney who could speak for him.
- NC State football looks for first home win over Georgia Tech since 2000
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Target and Bass Pro Shops are hiring
- COVID-19 in NC: Daily percent positive hits 9.5%; hospitalizations set record
- 20-year-old Durham man shot to death while driving leading to crash that injured 5, police say
- The best Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart, Amazon, Target