RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — The North Carolina Medical Examiner’s office is providing new information about the death of Kristen Lee Stone.
Cumberland County deputies recovered the 19-year-old Greenville woman’s body from the Cape Fear River this past August.PREVIOUS:Man charged in death of teen found floating in Cape Fear River
Investigators have listed the cause of death as “homicidal violence by undetermined means.”
Investigators say Stone’s decomposed body was completely unclothed with a zip-tie around her wrist.
Stone’s body was pulled from the river after a fisherman found her floating in the river. She was originally from Jacksonville.
Charles Cottingham was arrested for Stone’s murder. Investigators say the man had kidnapped and sexually assaulted the victim in 2016.
Cottingham was convicted of assault by strangulation in 2005.
Cottingham is due in court on March 27.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- PITTSBORO WOMAN FOUND DEAD IN APARTMENT WAS KILLED BY NEIGHBOR, POLICE SAY
- PUTIN UNVEILS NUCLEAR WEAPONS PROGRAM, NUKES FLORIDA IN ANIMATED VIDEO
- MAN SENTENCED TO 300 YEARS FOR CHILD SEX CRIMES FREED ON TECHNICALITY
- NOTORIOUS SERIAL KILLER LINKED TO TEEN GIRL FROM DURHAM
- HIGH WINDS TAKE DOWN TREES, KNOCK OUT POWER ACROSS RALEIGH