KINSTON, N.C. (WNCT) — Chris Suggs is the president and founder of Kinston Teens, an organization working to bring a voice to youth in the Kinston-Lenoir county area.
The organization purchased the $1,000 foreclosed home in 2017.
Since then, Kinston Teens and volunteers have been working to create a safe space for young people in the area, as a community center.
It will be youth-led and neighborhood-focused.
Called the Neighborhood Hub, it will also be a place that offers services and programs that help young people with mentoring opportunities, jobs, and volunteering.
The goal is to bring increased awareness to the crime in the Kinston-Lenoir County area and to help put a stop to it.
Through donations and fundraisers, the goal is to finally have the Hub finished by this year.
Click here to donate.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Divers recover body of teen who drowned at Falls Lake
- Chatham County woman wanted mother in nursing home tested, told no
- Woman accused of licking $1,800 worth of items at California grocery store arrested on felony charge
- Nearly half of Moore County nursing home residents tests positive for COVID-19
- NC State signee, Cardinal Gibbons quarterback Andrew Harvey reflects on his first love: Golf
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now