OXNARD, Calif. (AP) — A young couple has been arrested on suspicion of strangling their newborn to death at a Southern California hospital.
Police in Oxnard said their officers were summoned to St. John’s Medical Center Friday morning to investigate the baby’s death.
Sgt. Brandon Ordelheide said 20-year-old Andrea Torralba and her boyfriend, 21-year-old David Villa, notified the medical staff that their hours-old son was unresponsive. The staff tried to revive the infant but he succumbed to his injuries.
Ordelheide said doctors determined the newborn was strangled until he was unconscious.
Torralba and Villa were arrested for investigation of assault on a child resulting in death. They were being held Saturday on $1 million bail each.
The sergeant said when questioned by detectives, the two said they didn’t want the baby.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Woman’s obituary: In lieu of flowers ‘do not vote for Trump’
- Giuliani shown in hotel bedroom scene in new ‘Borat’ film
- Fort Bragg Twitter account deleted after hack leads to lewd messages
- Wednesday, October 21st – Spruce up your home for the season, learn how to manage anxiety and stress healthily
- Tackle DIY home projects with these awesome products
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now