WILSON, N.C. (WNCN) — A wrongfully convicted Wilson County man who spent 43 years in prison for a murder he didn’t commit will not be re-tried for the crime.
Charles Ray Finch’s attorney told CBS 17’s Russ Bowen they confirmed the news from the Wilson County District Attorney.
It was ruled in May that Finch did not receive a fair trial back in the 1970s. A judge said that no reasonable juror would find him guilty based on the evidence available.
Finch is now 81 years old. He was convicted of killing Wilson County gas station owner Richard Holloman in 1976.
Latest news on CBS17.com:
- Cape Hatteras seashore saw record-breaking visitation in January
- Nearly 100 pet dogs and cats have contracted COVID-19. Here’s how to protect your pets
- Fully-vaccinated people can gather without masks, CDC says
- Minneapolis prepares for possible unrest as former officer Derek Chauvin goes on trial
- CDC announces fully vaccinated Americans can gather without masks