WILSON, N.C. (WNCN) — A wrongfully convicted Wilson County man who spent 43 years in prison for a murder he didn’t commit will not be re-tried for the crime.
Charles Ray Finch’s attorney told CBS 17’s Russ Bowen they confirmed the news from the Wilson County District Attorney.
It was ruled in May that Finch did not receive a fair trial back in the 1970s. A judge said that no reasonable juror would find him guilty based on the evidence available.
Finch is now 81 years old. He was convicted of killing Wilson County gas station owner Richard Holloman in 1976.
Latest news on CBS17.com:
- Hospital lets parents watch their NICU baby 24/7 through cameras
- Family’s dog stabbed 6 times by police officer
- Petition calls on NBA to change logo in honor of Kobe Bryant
- Woman claims man watched her use restroom at PNC Arena during UFC event
- China counts 106 virus deaths as US, others move to evacuate