WILSON, N.C. (WNCN) — A wrongfully convicted Wilson County man who spent 43 years in prison for a murder he didn’t commit will not be re-tried for the crime.
Charles Ray Finch’s attorney told CBS 17’s Russ Bowen they confirmed the news from the Wilson County District Attorney.
It was ruled in May that Finch did not receive a fair trial back in the 1970s. A judge said that no reasonable juror would find him guilty based on the evidence available.
Finch is now 81 years old. He was convicted of killing Wilson County gas station owner Richard Holloman in 1976.
Latest news on CBS17.com:
- Local youth participate in wheelchair basketball camp in Cary
- NC wife ‘wanted to kill’ husband, fired .357 magnum through door, deputies say
- Deputies ID 2 suspects in murder of pizza delivery driver in Roanoke Rapids
- Federal bill would let marijuana businesses bank
- Deputies: NC man kidnaps wife with intent to kill her, man she was having affair with
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now