WILSON, N.C. (WNCN) — A wrongfully convicted Wilson County man who spent 43 years in prison for a murder he didn’t commit will not be re-tried for the crime.
Charles Ray Finch’s attorney told CBS 17’s Russ Bowen they confirmed the news from the Wilson County District Attorney.
It was ruled in May that Finch did not receive a fair trial back in the 1970s. A judge said that no reasonable juror would find him guilty based on the evidence available.
Finch is now 81 years old. He was convicted of killing Wilson County gas station owner Richard Holloman in 1976.
Latest news on CBS17.com:
- Karen forms near Caribbean, still watching Jerry and soon-to-be Lorenzo
- GM adds 2 model years to recall involving welds in small SUVs
- NC fugitive who tricked 4 bondsmen is caught after 8-hour standoff
- Residents excited as 1st grocery store opens in downtown Raleigh
- Thomas’ TD return helps NC State beat Ball State 34-23
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now