DUPLIN COUNTY, N.C. (WNCT) – One person is in critical condition after an explosion and structure fire reported in Duplin County,
County officials said there was an explosion in a single-wide mobile home on Jackson Store Road near Corn Mill Road.
One burn victim was flown to UNC North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill.
Officials said the victim is in critical condition and was first taken to Vidant’s hospital in Duplin County, then flown to the burn center.
The name of the victim has not been released.
Investigators said the victim told them he remembers lighting a cigarette right before the explosion, and nothing else after that.
Officials said that 17 animals were known to have been in the home, and 12 are currently in the care of Animal Services.
Fire, EMS, emergency management, law enforcement, State Fire Marshall, and SBI are investigating the incident.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Durham County leaders strongly discourage door-to-door Halloween trick-or-treating
- Colorado firefighters to homeowners: ‘If this note finds you we must have done something right’
- Social media scams have cost consumers $117M already this year – Here’s what to look out for
- COVID-19 cluster closes Person County school for in-person learning
- Florida school district investigating claims that cheerleader was forced to kneel during anthem
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now