BLADEN COUNTY, N.C. (WECT) – A man who fled from a state trooper after being pulled over in Bladen County ran out of gas during the pursuit.
According to the Bladen County Sheriff’s Office, Trooper Jason Weissinger clocked a car traveling at 102 mph on N.C. Highway 87 near N.C. Highway 20 just before 2 p.m. Wednesday.
Weissinger pulled the car over, but as he approached the vehicle, the car sped away.
After a short chase, the car ran out of gas and the driver, Demetrius Sherell Rayshan Gamble, was taken into custody.
During a search of the vehicle, Weissinger reportedly found a backpack containing approximately 298 grams of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. The sheriff’s office then responded to the scene.
Gamble, 25, has been charged with:
Felony possession of marijuana
Possession of drug paraphernalia
Possession with intent to manufacture, sell and deliver marijuana
Driving while license revoked
Failure to wear seat belt
Speeding 102 mph in a 55 mph zone
Reckless driving to endanger
Fleeing to elude arrest
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Sen. Thom Tillis introduces bill that would make attacks on police officers a federal crime
- Father of 2-year-old shot in Fayetteville was shot to death in May 2019, police say
- WATCH: Woman tells officer ‘I have to poop so bad’ before high-speed chase
- 2020 Maui Invitational to be held in Asheville; UNC, Davidson part of field
- Tropical Storm Wilfred forms in Atlantic – next named storm will be ‘Alpha’
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now