HAYS, N.C. (WGHP) – A 2-year-old is dead after a hit-and-run in Wilkes County, according to Highway Patrol.
At about 8:53 p.m. Thursday, troopers responded to a hit and run on Traphill Road near Hays in Wilkes County.
Troopers said a 2-year-old child had wandered away from his home and was hit by a vehicle at some point.
He was found along the roadside in the area.
The child was taken to the Traphill Volunteer Fire Department by a family member.
The child died at Wilkes Medical Center a short time later.
Troopers say they continue to investigate.
Further details were not immediately available.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- COVID-19 vaccines likely delayed for teachers, Cumberland County school officials say
- North Carolina man charged in connection with Capitol riots, FBI says
- Fayetteville man behind bars after trooper pulls him over for speeding, finds gun and drugs
- Breakup is catalyst for Lee County murder-suicide, sheriff’s office says
- New, free COVID-19 testing site planned for Wendell this week