CHARLOTTE, N.C. (FOX 46 CHARLOTTE) – The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has made a second arrest in the murder of a beloved NoDa burger joint co-owner.
Steven Staples, 31, has been charged with the murder of Brooks’ Sandwich House co-owner Scott Brooks, 61, in a deadly shooting that occurred during a robbery back in December 2019.
Terry Conner Jr., 33, was the first arrest that was made, in March 2020, and detectives said Staples, like Conner, has a criminal history.
The deadly shooting occurred on December 9, 2019, early on a Monday morning when Scott Brooks was going to open the restaurant for the day and was confronted by an armed suspect. CMPD canvassed surveillance video but leads were sparse for months.
Both Staples and Conner face murder charges. CMPD said Staples was identified as a result of a continued investigation. Staples was already in custody on pending charges. Staples faces additional charges including robbery with a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, and felony possession of a firearm. A $21,000 reward helped lead to the initial arrest, CMPD said.
The popular burger shop has been around since 1973 and the restaurant was being run by Scott Brooks, and his twin brother David.
“It shook the entire city because this restaurant had been here forever and it’s a great place for people to gather and get a good meal for a good price,” a neighbor of the restaurant, Robert Chandler, told FOX 46 in March.
Previous Coverage From FOX 46
- CMPD investigating possible organized crime ring linked to multiple murders
- “I’m innocent”: Man accused in Scott Brooks’ murder says he “had nothing to do with this”
- Arrest made in slaying of beloved Brooks’ Sandwich House co-owner
- Panthers owner, new head coach visit Brooks’ Sandwich House in Noda, show support for family
- Brooks Sandwich House re-opens nearly 2 months after owner’s murder
- Surveillance footage shows armed suspect moments before fatal shooting of Brooks’ Sandwich House owner
- Reward doubles for information in murder of Brooks’ Sandwich Shop co-owner
- Community packs church for Brooks’ Sandwich House owners’ funeral
- ‘Pillar in the community’: Restaurant owner shot, killed recently donated land for affordable housing
- Robbery motive behind deadly shooting of Brooks’ Sandwich House co-owner, police say
Latest headlines from FOX 46
- Cannon Hinnant memorial plans to be announced Wednesday in Wilson
- Hackers steal nearly $60,000 from NC Boys and Girls Club
- At least 128 people sick after eating sushi from NC Harris Teeter stores
- Army vet tests positive for COVID, dies after taking multi-state trip with NC bus company
- CBS 17 Job Alert – NC Forest Service hiring, substance abuse counselor needed in Butner