PIREWAY, N.C. (WECT) – The body of a young man was recovered Saturday morning in Columbus County around 11 a.m., not far from the scene of an accident on the Waccamaw River that claimed his life a week earlier.
Sgt. Kyle vanAlthuis with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission confirmed the body of Garrett Smith, 21, was found earlier Saturday.
Smith and two others, Jennifer Hayes, 37 of Chadbourn, and Megan Lynn, 21 of Whiteville, were killed in a crash involving two boats last Sunday around 5:30 p.m. near Pireway.
Crews had been searching for Smith every day since the accident.
According to Sgt. vanAlthuis, the three were passengers on a boat driven by Travis Suggs from Tabor City.
Suggs and the driver of the other boat involved in the collision, Matthew Ferster, of Shallotte, were both charged with operating a boat while impaired.
Ferster and the passenger in his boat were not injured.
The crash remains under investigation.
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Warning issued for Johnston County as minor flooding forecasted for Wednesday
- Starting Tuesday, Pizza Hut is giving away free pizza to 2020 grads
- Wilson gym owner re-opens, plans to file lawsuit against Gov. Cooper
- Families pay their respects at Raleigh National Cemetery on Memorial Day
- Butner inmate dies 3 days after testing positive for COVID-19, officials say