MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (WNCT) – A base in the East is dealing with an intruder – one of the four-legged variety.
Marine Corps Base commanders say a coyote has bitten three Marines and a sailor in the last two weeks.
Each incident happened when the service members were running late at night.
Officials say they’ve been seeing coyotes on base for years.
Camp Lejeune’s Natural Resources Manager believes one animal is behind these attacks.
“All the instances where there was a bite, all kind of, very familiar, the same chain of events occurred, so we think it’s one animal, but it’s just an educated guess,” said Martin Korenek, MCB Camp Lejeune’s Natural Resources Manager.
The four injured service members are OK after the attacks.
Officials are working to find the animal responsible.
For now, they’re recommending people avoid running at night.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 22-year-old charged with girlfriend’s murder in West Knoxville shooting
- 1 dead in motorcycle crash along S. Saunders St. near I-40 in Raleigh, police say
- Vendors grateful for opportunity presented by NC State Fair food event
- Triangle law enforcement issuing very few citations as COVID-19 cases continue to increase
- Pregnant ESPN reporter fires back after ‘troll’ tries to body-shame her
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now