CHOCOWINITY, N.C. (WNCT) – The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a shooting that injured a 5-year-old child.
According to deputies, the Beaufort County Emergency Communications received a 911 call just before 2 p.m. Sunday about the child shot inside a home off N.C. Highway 33 E. in Chocowinity.
A family member tells 9 On Your Side that the young girl’s name is Tiana Moore.
They share that the shots that were fired into Moore’s grandparents’ house hit her in the hip right above her pelvis, causing bone fragments.
The child was taken to Vidant Beaufort, then later transferred to Vidant in Greenville where she is listed in stable condition.
The investigation is ongoing.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Protests take to the streets of Raleigh for 6th night
- Roanoke Rapids gym owner charged, fined for opening during pandemic shutdown
- Hundreds gather in solidarity amid candlelight vigil for police brutality in Durham
- Hundreds march in protest of peace and unity walk in Dunn
- VIDEO: Man injured after shoved by police during protest in Buffalo
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now