CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Authorities in North Carolina say a driver fell asleep at the wheel and careened off an interstate, injuring herself, two other adults and six children.
Highway Patrol Trooper Ray Pierce says no one in the vehicle Thursday night was wearing proper restraints, including the children ranging from 4 months to 10 years old.
An 8-month-old baby was being held by an adult in the front seat. All nine people remained hospitalized Friday.
Driver Shontavia Smith Barber told troopers she fell asleep and veered off of Interstate 485 Inner Loop.
Barber faces multiple charges, including reckless driving and failure to restrain children.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Youth voter turnout rising, could be key in close NC races
- Some Cumberland County parents say their children are falling behind due to virtual learning
- Wake Forest crews remove portable basketball goals in neighborhoods
- 1 in 5 people who requested mail-in ballots have not yet voted, data shows
- Security camera videos show officer-involved shooting in Greensboro neighborhood
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now