CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Authorities in North Carolina say a driver fell asleep at the wheel and careened off an interstate, injuring herself, two other adults and six children.
Highway Patrol Trooper Ray Pierce says no one in the vehicle Thursday night was wearing proper restraints, including the children ranging from 4 months to 10 years old.
An 8-month-old baby was being held by an adult in the front seat. All nine people remained hospitalized Friday.
Driver Shontavia Smith Barber told troopers she fell asleep and veered off of Interstate 485 Inner Loop.
Barber faces multiple charges, including reckless driving and failure to restrain children.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- ‘Skull Breaker Challenge ’ leaves Arkansas teen with concussion
- Supreme Court rules slain Mexican teen’s family can’t sue Border Patrol agent in US court
- Colorado mom says teacher took video of disabled son to bully him
- Supreme Court to hear First Amendment dispute over same-sex foster parents
- Jif settles a great debate with a GIF peanut butter jar
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now