EMERALD ISLE, N.C. (WNCT) — An arrest has been made in connection with a fatal shooting and arson that occurred on earlier this month in Emerald Isle.
Patrick Keith-Reich Whitley, 25, of Havelock, was taken into custody in Corpus Christi, Texas by members of the U.S. Marshal’s Service and the Corpus Christi Police Department.
According to police, Whitley surrendered without incident.
He is currently being held without bond where and awaits extradition back to North Carolina to face charges of murder and first-degree arson in the death of Carl Eugene Jones Jr.
Jones, 31, was found dead inside a home Jan. 9 after police and fire department personnel responded to a report of a structure fire on Melanie Street, officials said.
When emergency personnel arrived on the scene, the residence was fully engulfed and fire crews from Emerald Isle, Western Carteret, Indian Beach, and Pine Knoll Shores worked late into the early morning hours to extinguish the fire.
Officials said soon after the death that they had questioned a man in relation to the shooting.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- McGusty, ’Canes outlast Virginia Tech in triple overtime
- Key, Clark lead Virginia past Boston College, 78-65
- Devoe shakes off injury, leads Georgia Tech past Wake Forest
- No. 11 Louisville routs Syracuse 90-66 to end 2-game slide
- Family, community hails crossing guard hit and killed as ‘hero’ after saving 2 students
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now