COLUMBUS COUNTY N.C. (WECT) – Bladen and Columbus County law enforcement are searching the Cape Fear River Friday afternoon for a possible body.
“Information was received by the Bladen County Sheriff’s Office earlier this week that a possible assault had taken place in Bladen County and a body dumped in the Cape Fear River,” a news release from the Bladen County Sheriff’s Office stated.
Dive crews with the Bladen and Columbus County sheriff’s offices are searching the river off Hwy. 11 in Columbus County.
Bladen County Sheriff’s Office officials say they’ve received some independent information that leads them to believe a crime may have occurred but are not releasing any further details at this time.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- UNC says students in 2nd Franklin Street celebration could face disciplinary action
- Chase hit 120 mph before Wake County crash critically injured woman; 2 lbs of pot found, officials say
- Person rescued from house fire by neighbor in Winston-Salem
- Elon upsets top-seed James Madison in CAA tourney, 72-71
- Thomasville teen seriously injured in hit-and-run; Troopers asking for public’s help finding suspect vehicle
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.