LAS VEGAS (AP) — Barry Manilow gifted $100,000 worth of new band gear to a North Carolina high school in an area still recovering from Hurricane Florence.
News outlets report the band at East Duplin High School couldn’t afford new instruments and uniforms, so they entered a national contest by the Manilow Music Project for help.
In a video of the announcement at a Las Vegas show Wednesday, Manilow takes a pause from dancing and singing to crown East Duplin as the winner.
Manilow said he had been “bombarded” with video entries from high schools across the country saying why they think they deserved the funds before giving East Duplin the $100,000 for new instruments and uniforms.
The school’s band director says words can’t describe his gratitude.
Latest news from CBS17.com:
- NC schools chief: People want Common Core gone
- Section of Aviation Parkway in Morrisville shut down Friday morning
- Friday Fur-cast | February 21
- 5 Charlotte murder cases from 2019 dismissed, thrown out due to lacking, incorrect evidence
- State Capitol police officer hit by vehicle after crashing on Wade Avenue, Raleigh police say
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now