LAS VEGAS (AP) — Barry Manilow gifted $100,000 worth of new band gear to a North Carolina high school in an area still recovering from Hurricane Florence.
News outlets report the band at East Duplin High School couldn’t afford new instruments and uniforms, so they entered a national contest by the Manilow Music Project for help.
In a video of the announcement at a Las Vegas show Wednesday, Manilow takes a pause from dancing and singing to crown East Duplin as the winner.
Manilow said he had been “bombarded” with video entries from high schools across the country saying why they think they deserved the funds before giving East Duplin the $100,000 for new instruments and uniforms.
The school’s band director says words can’t describe his gratitude.
Latest news from CBS17.com:
- ‘Everybody’s just very grateful’: NC state leaders hopeful next vaccine group could be move up
- Bill would make it a crime to insult a police officer
- Inmate used ‘body cavity’ to bring tiny gun into jail, Missouri officials say
- UNC-Chapel Hill says fall semester goal is ‘full return to in-person instruction’
- Study finds masks, dining rules help curb spread
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now