RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – Gov. Roy Cooper signed a bill into law Wednesday that will allow beer and wine to be sold at college stadiums across North Carolina.
Lawmakers sent the bill to Cooper on June 19 after the House voted 88-25 to approve the Senate version of the bill.
Cooper had not previously said whether he was in favor of the bill or not.
Trustees of each public college and university would have the choice of whether to authorize sales.
Supporters of the bill said it gives universities an additional source of revenue and greater control to curb unsafe drinking habits. Opponents worried that it would create a disruptive atmosphere at athletic events and exacerbate drinking problems.
- 3 dead, 4 others in hospital after drug overdose at apartments
- Karen forms near Caribbean, still watching Jerry and soon-to-be Lorenzo
- GM adds 2 model years to recall involving welds in small SUVs
- NC fugitive who tricked 4 bondsmen is caught after 8-hour standoff
- Residents excited as 1st grocery store opens in downtown Raleigh