WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP/WNCN) – The body of a 21-year-old East Carolina student has been recovered after he went missing Saturday in the water near Wrightsville Beach.
The New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office confirmed the body of Ian William Malson, from Fayetteville, was located off Wrightsville Beach around 2:30 p.m.
Malson was last seen swimming with friends on Saturday near Palm Tree Island near Wrightsville Beach.
The U.S. Coast Guard says Malson’s friends realized he didn’t make it back to the boat and called for help.
East Carolina University confirms that Malson is enrolled at the school and is a construction management major.
The Star-News reported Malson grew up in Fayetteville and attended Terry Sanford High School.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Woman arrested after man fatally shot at Raleigh apartment complex
- 2,805 new COVID-19 cases reported Saturday
- Salt Life co-founder arrested after teen found dead in hotel room
- US shatters daily COVID record with nearly 100,000 new cases
- Is Trump or Biden winning? 5 clues from early voting