KURE BEACH, N.C. (WECT) — Two ocean rescuers with the Kure Beach Fire Department rushed into the water to save two distressed swimmers Sunday afternoon after they became caught in a rip current, and it was all caught on camera by photographer Mike Gans.
The rescuers managed to pull the swimmers to safety on shore where they were checked out by medical personnel.
Ocean Rescuers do not typically work this time of year and are usually only staffed through Labor Day. The swimmers are expected to be OK.
Copyright 2019 WECT. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Thief waited for customer to pay before grabbing cash at Fayetteville store, police say
- Patient dies after being left unattended for more than an hour in hospital’s ER waiting room
- Fort Worth officer resigns after killing woman in her own home
- Amber Alert expanded for abducted Alabama 3-year-old; 2 in custody
- Driver arrested in deadly Fayetteville pedestrian crash
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now