KURE BEACH, N.C. (WECT) — Two ocean rescuers with the Kure Beach Fire Department rushed into the water to save two distressed swimmers Sunday afternoon after they became caught in a rip current, and it was all caught on camera by photographer Mike Gans.
The rescuers managed to pull the swimmers to safety on shore where they were checked out by medical personnel.
Ocean Rescuers do not typically work this time of year and are usually only staffed through Labor Day. The swimmers are expected to be OK.
Copyright 2019 WECT. All rights reserved.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 19 taken to hospitals after tree falls on garage during child’s birthday party
- NC group angered by removal of statues displays giant Confederate flag along I-40
- Person dies in fall from balcony of oceanfront hotel in Myrtle Beach
- Remains of missing Texas soldier identified, family lawyer says
- Friends remember woman killed by ‘celebratory gunfire’ in Durham
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now