KITTY HAWK, N.C. (WAVY) – A young man struck by lightning while swimming in the Atlantic Ocean in Kitty Hawk has died.
Chief of Police Joel Johnson confirmed the victim is 23-year-old Matt Summerill.
Summerill was at the beach with friends on Aug. 23 when he was struck by lightning shortly before 3 p.m.
Kitty Hawk Ocean Rescue responded and provided medical assistance. Summerill was then transported to Outer Banks Hospital in Nags Head.
10 On Your Side has learned he recently died from his injuries after a long fight.
According to a GoFundMe account seeking help with hospital bill costs, Summerill was a student at Columbia University. Organizer Cameron Blount described him as “adventurous but always cautious.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Wake Forest teen battling colon cancer ‘thankful’ for support and spending holiday with family
- Thousands travel through RDU over Thanksgiving, but numbers plummet from last year
- 1 wounded in shooting into car along Glenwood Avenue in North Raleigh
- NC mall closes early due to ‘disturbance’
- 1 dead, 2 more wounded in shooting at Duplin County party