CLYDE, N.C. (WNCN) – Eastbound Interstate 40 is closed near the Tennessee border due to a crash Friday evening, the North Carolina Department of Transportation said.
The incident was reported just before 6 p.m. in Haywood County. The crash happened near mile marker 17.5 and the Fines Creek Road exit, NCDOT said.
Drivers are instructed to follow the directions of on-scene law enforcement. NCDOT initially said the road was expected to remain closed until 10 p.m., but later updated the estimate to 12:30 a.m. Saturday.
No other information was available.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Crash involving tree across the road closes section of US-70 in Hillsborough
- Crashes in Chapel Hill down 40 percent – but speeding is on the rise, police chief says
- Sanford to begin 3-week city-wide scavenger hunt on Friday
- Happy 90th birthday Neil Armstrong
- For 2nd time this week, multiple homes in Ocean Isle Beach go up in flames