CLEVELAND COUNTY, N.C. (WSPA) – Deputies in North Carolina say they found around $3 million in cash hidden inside a tractor trailer headed southbound on Interstate 85.
According to the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office, a deputy stopped the tractor-trailer for failure to maintain lane and impeding the flow of traffic.
During a search of the trailer, cash was found hidden in barrels with raw pork shoulders.
The sheriff’s office said they had reason to believe the money was headed to the U.S. / Mexico border and was the result of drug sales throughout the region.
The Department of Justice was called to help with the investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Report: Twitter bans Trump campaign from tweeting over COVID misinformation
- ‘I’m out of money’: Some bar owners look for relief after Gov. Cooper extends Phase 2 in NC
- Facebook, citing coronavirus misinformation, deletes Trump post
- Nearly all Wayne County schools returning under full remote instruction
- North Carolina’s history with women’s suffrage on the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now