ELIZABETHTOWN, N.C. (WECT) - A Bladen County teacher pleaded guilty Monday to sex crime charges and has forfeited her teaching license.
Assistant District Attorney Quentin McGee said Shanna May Harrelson, a science teacher at West Bladen High School, pleaded guilty to one count of crimes against nature and one count of disseminating obscene material to a minor.
The obscene material charge stems from Harrelson showing students an inappropriate image of male genitals, according to McGee.
Neither charge carries a sex offender registration requirement. Harrelson of Clarkton was given a suspended prison sentence of 8-19 months on the condition she serves 36 months of supervised probation.
Harrelson, 38, was initially suspended without pay on April 26, 2017.
McGee said evidence was found on Harrelson's phone during a Spring 2017 investigation and investigators discovered Harrelson showed inappropriate material on her phone to a student.
Harrelson was employed as a substitute teacher from May 2014 to October 2014 before becoming a full-time teacher.
McGee added that Harrelson was also a coach for a dance and step team in Bladen County. Her trial was originally scheduled for July 16.
Copyright 2018 WECT. All rights reserved.
- Family speaks out after man released from jail following encounter with Raleigh police
- Raleigh police respond to shooting on Woodpecker Court
- Man, woman hospitalized with life-threatening injuries after shooting at Raleigh motel
- UNC historian calls Confederate monument movement 'a turning point in history'
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 3-judge panel blocks 2 amendments from NC ballot
- NC man wanted in assault of pregnant Waffle House waitress arrested in California
- ECU bus hits, injures bicyclist
- NC Zoo announces name of 2nd southern white rhino born in July