CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – A Romanian-born former employee at Volvo has filed a lawsuit that accuses the company of turning him down for a promotion and ultimately firing him because he isn’t Swedish.
The Charlotte Observer reports Luke Diventi is suing Volvo Group North America LLC for job discrimination.
Diventi worked for the Swedish-based company at its U.S. headquarters in Greensboro for seven years.
He says in his lawsuit that the only suggestion for improvement was to “become more Swedish in his interactions with coworkers.”
Attorneys for both sides didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment by the newspaper.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- The show must go on: Salem Singers
- Hundreds pay respects, call for change at George Floyd’s Raeford memorial service
- Memorial held in Hoke County for NC native George Floyd as many seek change
- Where George Floyd lost his life might not be what you expect
- Tampa troopers help deliver baby on side of road
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now