CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – A Romanian-born former employee at Volvo has filed a lawsuit that accuses the company of turning him down for a promotion and ultimately firing him because he isn’t Swedish.
The Charlotte Observer reports Luke Diventi is suing Volvo Group North America LLC for job discrimination.
Diventi worked for the Swedish-based company at its U.S. headquarters in Greensboro for seven years.
He says in his lawsuit that the only suggestion for improvement was to “become more Swedish in his interactions with coworkers.”
Attorneys for both sides didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment by the newspaper.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Obese bear rescued from Pennsylvania sportsmen’s club recovering in Colorado
- SC bus driver cut out of vehicle after crash with 18-wheeler
- Robeson County sheriff host forum about preventing, responding to shootings in places of worship
- Kids Exchange Consignment Sale begins Friday at NC Fairgrounds
- WATCH: Houston explosion caught on home surveillance video