IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. (WBTV) – One person was killed and two others injured in a three-vehicle crash involving a tractor-trailer in Iredell County Wednesday afternoon.
The wreck, which also involved an SUV and a pickup truck, happened before 2:45 p.m. on I-40 about two miles east of the I-77 interchange near mile marker 156, shutting down the interstate’s westbound lanes.
Witnesses at the scene said there was a brush fire in the area at the time of the crash. They said the crash happened when drivers slowed down due to smoke drifting across the roadway.
By 3:30 p.m., traffic was backed up for about 6 miles. One firefighter told WBTV that it would take a “long time” for the interstate to completely re-open.
No further information has been released.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Some Raleigh protesters appreciate show of respect from police; others say it’s not enough
- Nominate a Frontline hero for a free roof from Ridge Valley Exteriors
- Officials: Man in Joker mask charged after setting Chicago cop car on fire
- Save money on your utilities with Sigora Solar
- Tuesday, June 2nd : Save money each month with solar power, Nominate a frontline worker for a FREE roof
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now
Copyright 2019 WBTV. All rights reserved.