ELKIN, N.C. (WNCN) — A fiery crash between two tractor-trailers closed lanes on a key interstate in North Carolina for five hours on Sunday.
The crash closed the southbound lanes of Interstate 77 in Surry County near N.C. 268, which is near the Virginia line, the North Carolina Department of Transportation reported.
The crash happened in the Elkin area and several fire departments were sent to the scene.
There was no word about injuries.
Heavy smoke and an intense fire enveloped both big rigs. The smoke could be seen from miles along the interstate.
It’s not clear what caused the crash, but it appeared that both vehicles were on fire in the median.
Officials said the wreck happened around 4:45 p.m. and the highway reopened just before 10 p.m.
- Former NC teacher becomes social media star
- ‘We were standing on the windows’: Passenger recounts Amtrak train derailing in Missouri
- Eastern NC fire crews pump 88 million gallons of water on 2,000-acre wildfire that is 24% contained
- Uncertainty surrounds ‘abortion pill’ access and legality after SCOTUS ruling
- East Durham families concerned after rolling gun battle and police shootout at shooting crime scene