ELKIN, N.C. (WNCN) — A fiery crash between two tractor-trailers closed lanes on a key interstate in North Carolina for five hours on Sunday.
The crash closed the southbound lanes of Interstate 77 in Surry County near N.C. 268, which is near the Virginia line, the North Carolina Department of Transportation reported.
The crash happened in the Elkin area and several fire departments were sent to the scene.
There was no word about injuries.
Heavy smoke and an intense fire enveloped both big rigs. The smoke could be seen from miles along the interstate.
It’s not clear what caused the crash, but it appeared that both vehicles were on fire in the median.
Officials said the wreck happened around 4:45 p.m. and the highway reopened just before 10 p.m.
- New York governor issues executive order allowing businesses to deny customers without masks
- Boston Marathon canceled over COVID-19 pandemic
- Bill just passed in NC House could make voting by mail easier this November
- Portuguese Man o’ War spotted on beaches from Surfside Beach to North Myrtle Beach
- North Carolina Zoo welcomes second litter of critically endangered red wolf pups
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now