ELKIN, N.C. (WNCN) — A fiery crash between two tractor-trailers closed lanes on a key interstate in North Carolina for five hours on Sunday.
The crash closed the southbound lanes of Interstate 77 in Surry County near N.C. 268, which is near the Virginia line, the North Carolina Department of Transportation reported.
The crash happened in the Elkin area and several fire departments were sent to the scene.
There was no word about injuries.
Heavy smoke and an intense fire enveloped both big rigs. The smoke could be seen from miles along the interstate.
It’s not clear what caused the crash, but it appeared that both vehicles were on fire in the median.
Officials said the wreck happened around 4:45 p.m. and the highway reopened just before 10 p.m.
- COVID-19 in pregnant women may trigger fetal inflammation
- NC statewide snow and freezing rain totals
- NC State defeats Virginia 77-63
- NC troopers report 1,600+ wrecks and 3,000 calls for service as winter storm hits state
- Dorothea Dix Park hands out sleds so people of all ages could enjoy the Triangle’s largest snowstorm in years