ELKIN, N.C. (WNCN) — A fiery crash between two tractor-trailers closed lanes on a key interstate in North Carolina for five hours on Sunday.
The crash closed the southbound lanes of Interstate 77 in Surry County near N.C. 268, which is near the Virginia line, the North Carolina Department of Transportation reported.
The crash happened in the Elkin area and several fire departments were sent to the scene.
There was no word about injuries.
Heavy smoke and an intense fire enveloped both big rigs. The smoke could be seen from miles along the interstate.
It’s not clear what caused the crash, but it appeared that both vehicles were on fire in the median.
Officials said the wreck happened around 4:45 p.m. and the highway reopened just before 10 p.m.
- Law firm giving away a free divorce for Valentine’s Day
- 500+ pounds of meth destined for NC is seized, $415,000 in cash found; 2 arrested
- COVID-19 within NC State’s program causes Virginia game to be postponed
- Protesters, some armed, descend on Michigan, Ohio and South Carolina statehouses
- 1 rescued from mobile home fire near Garner