ELKIN, N.C. (WNCN) — A fiery crash between two tractor-trailers closed lanes on a key interstate in North Carolina for five hours on Sunday.
The crash closed the southbound lanes of Interstate 77 in Surry County near N.C. 268, which is near the Virginia line, the North Carolina Department of Transportation reported.
The crash happened in the Elkin area and several fire departments were sent to the scene.
There was no word about injuries.
Heavy smoke and an intense fire enveloped both big rigs. The smoke could be seen from miles along the interstate.
It’s not clear what caused the crash, but it appeared that both vehicles were on fire in the median.
Officials said the wreck happened around 4:45 p.m. and the highway reopened just before 10 p.m.
- Inspectors checking ‘every nut, bolt, fastener or screw’ on NC State Fair rides
- 12 Democrats meet for first debate since impeachment inquiry
- Dutch family of 7 waiting for ‘the end of time’ discovered living in farmhouse basement
- Wake County reports most coyote sightings in North Carolina
- Fail foliage expected to peak for some North Carolina mountains this weekend
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now